Rethinking Payments

Your friend sends you a link. It’s a heart-warming story of a community pulling together, and they need your help. Or maybe it’s this new device straight out of science fiction, and you can make it a reality by backing it. Or it’s a local artist with a bold new idea who needs support to bring their dreams to life. Point is, it’s on Indiegogo, and you want to give them money.

So you head over to the payment flow, and see this. Whoa.


There’s a lot going on over many pages, and the code is even more confusing!

Payments is the beating heart of crowdfunding, and the controller that supports these pages has been around since Indiegogo was founded in 2007. Needless to say, features were added, experiments were run, and bugs were fixed until the code had become so clogged with technical debt that even minor changes could send the whole system into cardiac arrest.

Indiegogo’s fearless leaders, recognizing this development bottleneck, tasked the Iron Bank, our payments team, with performing bypass surgery. Our mandate was to create a clean, responsive, modular foundation for future features and experiments, then stitch it into place to take over for the old code.

One fundamental idea behind the pay flow, as we call it, was a series of UI components that were mostly pure and stateless, allowing them to be reused, reasoned about, and tested with relative ease. It also made things easier to discuss with design. One of the low-level components we created was the input field, with some nice animation to keep users informed as they type:


We used a few base-level components to create larger components for each of the key sections that Design had distilled from discussions with users and internal teams. The payment module demonstrates the flexibility of this approach.


To make users’ lives easier, we added some polish, like detecting which card icon to show. We also added spaces or slashes to fields to reduce ambiguity.

Building up components in this way also made it easier to think about responsive design. The old code had dramatically different code paths for desktop and mobile payments, and though the user interfaces hid some of the differences, it meant double the work for any features in this area. Since a key priority for the the new version was to have one code path that supported multiple view sizes, we ensured that the components were flexible when it came to container widths so they look good from iPhone 4 to iMax.

With the UI looking pretty solid, we began linking it up with the backend. The old system had lots of implicit dependencies and business logic buried throughout it, so a large portion of our effort was tracking these down and writing tests to make sure no functionality was lost.

An interesting feature of the new system is that it unifies the process for two payment services, PayPal and Stripe. When you click submit, Indiegogo asks Stripe to process the payment, and Stripe responds right away, allowing us to redirect the user to the thank you page (they also send us a webhook later confirming a payment’s success). However, Paypal redirects the user to PayPal to complete the payment, then redirects back to Indiegogo’s thank you page (and sends a webhook confirming success). To have one code path that supports both processes, we have the server return a URL in both cases for the client to redirect. Then we consider the webhooks the true response from each payment processor. Abstracting away the differences between processors makes it much easier to add features that affect both, and keeps the code and tests leaner and more DRY.

Having learned from past releases that bugs and missing requirements always seem to crop up at the last minute, we held two bug testing parties, one midway through when the UI was mostly done, and one a week or two before launch, with the whole company. Having everyone try to break the new system had the added benefit of preparing everyone for the upcoming launch, so they could speak knowledgeably to users about the changes. Many bugs were caught early on, but thanks to the two parties the launch itself was rock-solid.

We’d hoped that users would find the new experience easier to complete, allowing more of them to make it all the way through. At worst, we were even willing to accept a slightly worse conversion rate given how much easier the underlying code would be to build upon. As it turned out, users loved the new way to pay, with desktop contributions rising 14% and mobile contributions doubling!

Given the excellent user response, a solid code foundation for new feature development, and an almost bug-free launch, we declare the patient again in good health. See for yourself, and look for more new crowdfunding features from Indiegogo!